Pafuri Border Gate is in the far north-east corner of Kruger National Park, not to be confused with Pafuri Gate, on the opposite side of the game reserve. Going through the gate will take you into Limpopo National Park in Mozambique.
However, you may only go through the gate if you have a four wheel drive. The roads on the Mozambiquan side are only suitable for these types of vehicles.
Don’t forget to check the border gate’s opening times when you plan your safari so you don’t get stuck waiting! It’s generally only open during the day.
There are a couple of rules to stick to when going through the gate. Let’s not forget that it’s the boundary between two countries! Most of the regulations are about paperwork and here’s a summary of what you need to have to go through the gate:
- Passports for everyone
- Visas, if applicable, for everyone
- Proof of vehicle ownership and any trailers / caravans
- Proof of vehicle insurance
- For hired or leased cars, proof of authority to take the vehicle into a foreign country
Other items to note:
- Carry two red safety triangles
- Stick a blue and yellow triangular label to the front of your vehicle and the back of your trailer / caravan
- You must stay or have just stayed a night in either Kruger National Park or Limpopo National Park. Bring your accommodation booking as proof.
- When you pass through the gate, you need to pay the conservation fee for the park you’re going to be entering
Once you’re through the gate, there are several accommodation options across the border in Limpopo National Park, but they’re relatively far away.
If you’re coming into Kruger National Park through the gate from Limpopo National Park and looking for a nearby place to stay the night, the closest rest camp is Punda Maria. It’ll take a bare minimum of 1.5 hours to get there as it’s 66km (41 miles) away. If you stop to look for animals, it’ll take about twice as long!
There’s one other Kruger National Park border gate to Mozambique. It’s called Giriyondo Gate and is quite a way further south, in the central region.